[OM] Re: Macro and "image stacking"

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro and "image stacking"
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:23:17 -0500
The Heliconfocus software has become quite the thing among photographers of
model railroads, of which I am one. The goal in shooting for publication is
to make the subject as indistinguishable from real life as possible. In the
past, this has been quite difficult, as prototype photos usually show nearly
infinite DOF. There have been past efforts using pinhole lenses, but they
have less than successful, as things are uniformly soft.

With the coming of small sensor digicams, things often improved, due to the
increased DOF. Of course, those cameras often lacked things like good
lenses, resolution, manual focus, and low noise.

Less than a year ago, posts began to appear on the internet concerning the
use of Heliconfocus. The results, when using a good digital camera, are
stunning. The last major roadblock to the illusion of reality (except for
modeling skill, of course, but there's no digital solution for that) has
gone down. There has been at least one magazine article on the use of this
software published. I think this will, in time, change the world of
photography for modeling magazines.

There are a few that have used the shareware version, but it is said that it
requires a high level of skill to use.

Bill Pearce