[OM] Re: Black M-1!

Subject: [OM] Re: Black M-1!
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:41:29 -0400
At 06:29 PM 05/11/2006 +0000, Walt wrote:
>Like you can't judge a book by its cover, maybe you shouldn't judge an M-1
by its paint.

True, but the issue was the wear on the knobs without matching wear on the
paint.  I gave a *really* beat-up OM-2s to Mark Dapoz a couple of years
ago, and he repainted it.  When he showed it to me, it looked really,
really good.  So it's not beyond possibility that the M-1 has been
repainted.  I doubt they would let you take the top and bottom off to see
for sure.

There have been M-1 tops on yee-Bay over the years, so it wouldn't be hard
to make a black M-1 by putting a repainted top on a black OM-1 body.  I've
seen a couple "fake" chrome M-1s done this way.

The black M-1 might be original, but for $5,000 you sorta would like to be
sure.

steve Troy