[OM] Re: Software piracy. Boo-hoo-hoo.

Subject: [OM] Re: Software piracy. Boo-hoo-hoo.
From: RMcFet <rmcfet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:52:30 -0400
Copyright is specific. Ownership can be transferred unless otherwise
specifically stated . So if your son gave you the original discs and
documentation and you are now the sole holder of the registration code
you legally own the software and there should be no problem. I think
its a good approach to take.

For me its an ethical issue. I don't use non-legal copies of software
as they are the result of someone's labours. Whether its a big
insensitive and opportunistic company or someone struggling to make a
go of things the laws are the same. Copyright is a method of protecting
someone's intellectual contribution and  helping them gain credit
remuneration or whatever. Their integrity or lack thereof is of no
concern to me in measuring what I think is right. In most cases if I
don't like them I don't need to patronize them. Others get my support
but I don't flex principles based on irritation.
Bob