[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:17:55 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/2006 7:33:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Quite  awhile ago there were some posts to the list about evaluating energy
efficient cars. I believe there was quite a bit of focus on the  Mini-Cooper.

I have a physician friend who is a wonderfully creative photographer and is
of a size that a Mini Cooper would accommodate.  A year or so ago she  traded
her VW which got 40+ miles to the gallon in on a Mini Cooper and although  she
enjoys the Mini Cooper, it is a good bit less fuel efficient than the  VW.  I
guess it is all relative, because although less fuel efficient than  the VW,
it is perhaps 2+ times more fuel efficient than my 4 wheel drive  Chevrolet
Suburban. The Suburban on the other hand will comfortably carry 3  times more
passengers and several times more gear if used for hauling  stuff.  Price wise
there is probably not much difference in initial  cost between the Mini Cooper
and the Suburban if both are fully  equipped.   The real savings for this
slightly claustrophobic, 6 ft 4  in, 245 lb city dweller comes from a feeling
of
being secure in traffic and  considerably lower chiropractor bills each year.
Bill  Barber