[OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - energy efficient cars
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:31:14 -0400
Yes many want an "inexpensive-to-buy, inexpensive-to-run" car. They also tend
to want modern sophisticated engineering and all the bells and whistles as well.

In my youth (ahhh), I built, rebuilt and rebuilt a number of minis, including a
quite well tuned Cooper S. One developed a love-hate relationship with them.
But they were fun, cheap to own and to modify. In their day, they were
very,very quick, but not for the faint of heart.

The new Minis are not bad (though the price is high) and much better built, and
- their one good point - do not run on 10 inch wheels! With modern
anti-pollution regulations, tuning as was done with the original minis is no
longer possible or practical.

In case, it isn't clear, I loved my final mini incarnation - a spiffy red and
white, well tuned Mk2 Cooper S equivalent.... Not exactly a works rally
replica, but close.

Martin