[OM] Re: [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:35:21 +0200
Le vendredi 05 Mai 2006 12:56, Andrew L Wendelborn a écrit :
> At 2:51 PM +0200 2006.05.03, Manuel Viet wrote:
> >Le mercredi 03 Mai 2006 14:39, Andrew L Wendelborn a écrit :
> >> What film were you using?
> >
> >TMax 100 ; processed in rodinal 1+50, 12', 20° (I don't really like TMax,
> > but I was given the film some times ago, and thought it was a good idea
> > to test the lens with a finer film than usual ; but still, I couldn't
> > help souping it in good ol' rodinal for that little touch of
> > micro-contrast I love, to the expense of grain control).
>
> Another Rodinal fan, I see. Good.

Sadly, you might have said 'another Rodinal orphan' ... I hope someone will
pick up the legacy before I have to look where to find R09.

> One thing that I found interesting about your pictures was getting a chance
> to look at a series of scans from the same roll. I've been trying out a few
> different films over the last few months (TMax 3200, Delta 3200, more
> recently HP5+ and so on).

TMax 3200p is a very nice special film ; the TMax 100 is way too 'cold' for my
taste (in my gallerie, as I mentionned, it gives better results on the 7th
and 8th pictures, because I scanned them in color and the exposure is less
harsh). My all times favorite general purpose film is the agfa apx 100 and I
mourn it every day. I've turned to FP4+, good enough, but less 'crisp'. For
low light situations, I found Tri-X to give exceptional results in all cases.
As a rule of thumb, I nearly always use Rodinal (I like D76, but it's a pain
to prepare and stock when living in a small appartement), but over dilute it
(1+50, 1+75 or 1+100). 1+25 is good to make newspaper illustrations, not
images ;-)

> One that I have been pleasantly surprised by is HP5+, at a range of film
> speeds. And (see below) somewhat perplexed by PanF. All developed in
> Rodinal, at 1:50.

While I use HP5 from time to time, I found it to produce too much granularity
at high iso ratings in Rodinal ; far more than Tri-X, and the low-lights are
completely blackened, with very low details. All in all, if I don't find
Tri-X, HP5 fills the gap, but without passion on my side.

> Here are a couple of scans of HP5+ exposed at 400, taken at an outdoor
> music festival in March. Some grain, but to my eye not unpleasant. I was
> quite pleased with these.
> http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_013.jpg
> http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_018.jpg

They're nice, but a little touch of USM would make it for the loss of
resolution induced by the scanning process.

> And again HP5+ but at 800, at a rural Farm Fair in mid April.
> Grain a bit more obvious, but once again I'm quite happy.
>
> Watching the shearing competition:
>    http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_035.jpg
> The loquacious blacksmith:
>    http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_011.jpg

I think you'd get more details in shadows with Tri-X, but they're nice anyway.

> Then I tried PanF. I thought at 50ASA this would be fine grained and nicely
> detailed. Which it mostly is, except for something like the first below,
> which has a rather disconcerting absence of detail in some of the faces,
> and elsewhere. It is underexposed, but I didn't think enough to cause this.
>
> The second below is an amusing beach wedding photo from the same roll, also
> underexposed but with a much more pleasing effect (well I think so at
> least):
>
> http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_025.jpg
> http://www.cs.adelaide.edu.au/~andrew/photos/bwscans/_022.jpg
>

> Anyway, I'm quite puzzled by that strange effect from PanF. I've seen it
> once before, in some outdoor portraits taken by a friend. I don't know
> where the cause is -- maybe it's a characteristic of PanF (this is the
> first time I've used it). Possibly there is something in the density curve
> to explain it.
>
> Maybe it just doesn't get on with being scanned. Will try some printing
> soon when I get the "real" darkroom back in order.

PanF is very tricky to work with, I've had way too much troubles with it. When
I need fine grain, I revert to TMax 100 in XTOL (not often), it gives the
same grainless feeling without the hassles. But I'd like too try the new
Rollei 25, for a change. Diffcult to find a shop with it in stock, though (I
don't really like buying over Internet, and I think it's worth helping my
local brick and mortar seller to stay in business, for his experience and
advices).

--
Manuel Viet