[OM] Re: [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] changing the foam of a Canonet QL17
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 16:45:30 +0200
Le mardi 02 Mai 2006 16:30, ALI a écrit :
> Manuel,
>
> Nice photos. I have also taken mine out "as-is" and shot a few pix.
> Funny thing

The "funniest" part of it (well, at least, mine, I can't vouch for yours - but
caveat) is the interspacing of the frames on the film is *shorter* than
normal, so beware of the crops on the pictures if you give it to a lab. I
don't know if the machines detect frames or if they rely on a "normal"
spacing. Not a problem for me, because I've got an amateur lab, but consider
warning your shopkeeper it if you're shooting dias.

> for some reason my son's eye's opened WIDE when he saw this camera and
> wanted to use it. So I took him along and taught him a little about using a
> rangefinder. The focusing is somewhat difficult to learn for anyone
> particularly a 9 year old.

My aforementionned girlfriend loved it because she has a severe myopia, and
found it easier to focus than a manual slr. So it might well be that I won't
be the heaviest user of the camera ;-)

> Maybe he'll get interested in photography from using the QL-17.

I'm wishing him all the best, this is a wonderful hobby. I don't know if
you're doing lab work yourself, but I once worked in a high school (pupils
aged 12~16), and was in charge of the photo activity. Childrens loved it to
the point of skipping TV time to join the club - this was a real endeavour.

--
Manuel Viet