[OM] Re: Workout - Day 1

Subject: [OM] Re: Workout - Day 1
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:41:18 -0400
At 03:25 AM 4/26/2006, IanWwrote:
>For me part of the problem is this damned internet thingy - we get
>saturated by good photographs whereas in (g)olden times you would see
>far less good prints and then probably only at exhibtions.  ( I have
>never been a memeber of  a camera club )

I've been away from reading the list lately, so jumping in mid-stream.

I've really been struggling with what real creative thing have I done
of late. I've put in some real effort over the last several weeks to really
try to break through some barrier. Maybe the bar has been raised
so high these days. With the camera technology what it is today,
photos can be captured that 20 years ago would have taken real
skill.

If you look at the number of photos posted in a single day on some
photo sharing websites, the number is overwhelming. And there
are some really good ones being posted.

With such a barrage of photos, they have to really snap out at
people for attention, with the color saturation busting at the seams.
How does one tell what is really a creative photo? If some master
from the past were to post today, they would hardly be noticed.

The ability to pound away 700-1000 photos in a short order  would
be mind boggling to a someone with a wet plate camera in the past.

But how many of those internet photos would people want to look
at for an extended period of time? I have one of Ag's photos and I
like looking at it every day. But if every other photo I shot, or anyone
shot, were always that good, maybe they would all become mediocre
photos.

With the saturation from the internet, photos that may have some
real lasting power, some real creative insight, or hold long term
interest, tend to get lost with the short attention span the
internet seems to induce. Not to mention our current lifestyle.

WayneS - always seeking to make the most enlightened photo ever

recent rejects:
http://www.zuik.net/om/reject_MG_3342.jpg
http://www.zuik.net/om/reject_MG_3356.jpg
http://www.zuik.net/om/reject_MG_3399.jpg