[OM] Re: another kitchen, well sort of

Subject: [OM] Re: another kitchen, well sort of
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:59:27 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Barker" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:24 AM

> Looks like an expensive business, having visitors :-).  And I bet
> they were short of fuel for the fire.
>
> Thanks, Wayne.
>
> Chris
> ~~ >-)-
> C M I Barker
> Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.
> +44 (0)7092 251126
> www.threeshoes.co.uk
> homepage.mac.com/zuiko

Yes, it kind of makes you feel bad in some ways, as for them to give up a
llama or a sheep, or even a chicken to feed us is quite a sacrifice for
them. And for some of us, it's not like we need the food :-) What makes it
hard, is they are so gracious to us, that they will feed us before they feed
their own children. Sometimes there aren't enough dishes for eveyone, nor
meat for everyone, so in those places we just eat a little off the plate,
and give the rest to the kids.

You're right on the fuel as well. There aren't many trees or bushes in the
mountain areas from which to gather firewood. I suppose that's one reason
you never see any kind of heat in the homes, even though the temperatures
often fall below freezing. I remember in one area of the altiplano we
visited a few years ago, they were burning llama dung as fuel for cooking
(boiling soup - okay it wouldn't work well for the under ground method of
cooking :-).
In the towns where trucks are able to go, some people do you use the small
tanks of natural gas for cooking, or for lights where they don't have
electricity.
Wayne