[OM] Re: Moron's first computer question

Subject: [OM] Re: Moron's first computer question
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:39:07 -0700
You got further than I did. I can't get Studio to install on either of my XP
computers. When I called tech support one of the first questions he asked
was if I had any Kodak software installed ...

I need to call them back. The "tried to help guy" said his supervisor would
contact me. The only alternative I see is to reinstall everything from a
clean disk. Try installing Studio right after Windows.

Also my E-300 came with software called Master. Master installs easily but
won't talk to an E-1. The tech guy told me that was a limitation of the
software. The previous tech support guy didn't seem to know that, he just
said to call back.

Some software dumps everything it needs in a single directory. Most software
scatters stuff in several directories, sometimes in newly created
directories with odd names. If you replace everything in you Studio
directory with the files from your working folder you stand a slight chance
of getting it to work. If it does work you might want to try reinstalling
the 1.5 upgrade over it again. I've had software which has a single file
that if copied to the new computer will then install correctly.

Maybe I should look for a C*non. Good luck Walt!

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)

I downloaded the 11.5MB update and ran it, and all seemed in order until it
got to the final screen with the choices of "restart computer now" or
"restart computer later."  I have chosen "restart computer now," and it just
quits; I have chosen, "restart computer later," and in quits, in either
instance just minimizing itself and sinking to the bar thingy on the bottom
of the screen like a rotten carp, lying there unresponsive to any mouse
prodding.  If I shut down the computer, I get that annoying message that
"Olympus Studio 1.5 Update is not responding," or some such, and whether I
let if finish whatever it's doing or choose "end now" and kill it then and
there -- with increasing malace and greater pleasure after a half dozen
attempts to get this thing to work -- the result is the same: Olympus Studio
is still V. 1.2.

Question:  I had no such problem when updating 1.2 to 1.5 on my laptop, so
1.5 is "over there" and working fine.  I thought about just copying the .exe
file, but I can't find it.  The only application file Winders will show me
is only 28KB, which I know ain't it.  So, if I burn a CD with the whole
shebang, i.e., directory and subdirectories, and overwrite what's in the new
computer with it, will I end up with Studio 1.5?  Or will I make more
problems?

Walt