[OM] Re: OT: Toona and timber

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Toona and timber
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:32:23 +1000
Red Cedar was used as a local substitute for Flame Mahogany in the
1800's - a lot of the trade in recovered and senescent/dead trees is
for the furniture restoration trade. There's a local operation
selling furniture, doors and windows from young Toona - still very
nice stuff. Strangely I had the common good sense to buy quite a bit
in my earlier years so our major household furniture pieces will last
my lifetime and a few more with luck.
Non-Australians may not realise that Aus. rainforests are Eucalypt-
free zones with a variety of other endemic species. I'm a big fan of
the native pines myself - preferably live and standing. Especially
Huon, Callitris and Bunya-bunya.
Sustained yield - joke. 80 year cycle around here and 60 years in
Tasmania of course. So much for wildlife hollows.  'Rogue state' - I
like that. Huge tracts of old growth down there are now just sticks
and stumps and they're perversely proud of it.
Now, you can't go around saying that they cut for woodchipping - they
only use the wastes for that! You'll have Gunn's or some other suing
you. The fact that they have a 97% waste level so that they can meet
their Japanese contracts is by the way - that's 'cos they're forced
to cut regrowth of course (er, irony warning).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx