[OM] Re: YADT, 5D - Dust at various apertures

Subject: [OM] Re: YADT, 5D - Dust at various apertures
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:30:21 -0400
At 12:36 AM 4/15/2006, Moose wrote:

>So how is yours for dust, Johnny? Anybody else with 5D dust tales to tell?

Mine was fine until I sent it to the New Jersey service center.  It
came back looking like someone had piddled on it and let it dry.  I
have no idea what it was but it was mainly on the lower half of the
sensor and almost all of it came off with a brush.  Right now it has
one smear left at the bottom of the frame that the brush won't remove
so I guess it's time to use Eclipse on it.  In the previous five
months it had needed cleaning once and that was for two or three
specks that showed up at f11.  As for viewfinder dust/debris - I have
one speck that shows up if I frame something like the sky and then
examine the viewfinder closely but it's not otherwise noticeable.

>I might well have pulled the trigger by now if it hadn't been for this
>thread.
>Then I flip flop to the 30D, cheaper even with the cost of a real WA
>zoom added. But then, the 5D really does resolve more and I don't have
>to buy any lens(es). And I already  have some of those special WA Zuikos
>that the Can*n FFheads go crazy for. I even have an EOS mount 19-35 for
>it which is quite good on the small sensor. It's good on film too, at
>least the OM mount version I have, but who knows what it will look like
>on the 5D corners.

I sure wouldn't try to sway you one way or another.  But, unless
you're shooting something like landscapes with lots of detail and
making large prints the 5D may be overkill.  On the other hand,
there's something about looking at a properly processed and sharpened
5D image on a large monitor at 100% that will make any pixel peeper's
toes curl up.  ;-)

As you know, the full frame sensor will show up any problems that a
lens has with corner sharpness, or even edge sharpness in some
cases.  I do think that any lens that you have that looks good with
film would look the same with the 5D.  I read a lot of message boards
(too many in fact) and I've yet to see anyone post a comparison that
proved a given lens performs worse on FF digital  than film.

So, you've been wanting one for four or five months now - don't you
think it's time to scratch the itch?

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson