[OM] Re: developing/printing C-41 film

Subject: [OM] Re: developing/printing C-41 film
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:05:00 -0500
 I think the problem there is, they don't have someone doing just the
> photo processing, it's just someone in the electonics department who does
> the processing whenever someone brings film in. I've almost quit using the
> mini-labs entirely, only when I really want the prints fast. Most times I
> use
> the 2 day send out.
This isn't any different from the optical minilabs. Many chain stores
had/have a policy of specificaly not hiring anyone with even a speck of
photo experience. the lady that does the machine printing at the pro lab I
use used to work for Walmart. When they saw that she was reviewing her work,
and making reprints as required, she was told that this was not acceptable.

I've posted before my less than enthuiasm about digital printing. I've
looked at the reesult of digital printers from most all of the major
manufacturers, and they aren't subjectively as sharp as optical prints. I've
examined the results with  both my eyes and a12x magnifier to try to discern
the difference. In many cases the digital prints actually present more fine
detail. For us commercial guys, the digital prints give much improved type.
Still, I don't like the results.

I'mm coming to the opinion that there's something about sharp edged grain in
optical prints that makes the difference.

On minilabs, I've tried to use the two day option for my useless snapshot
stuff, as the work is bettter. The problem is finding a location. There was
a smaller grocery store that sent work to Qualex, but they took out the
kiosk. For my money, Qualex does a great job considering.

The big problem with minilabs is the machine setup. Most over saturate, over
contrast, and over sharpen. Those settings, regretably, play well for the
average customer, with either a cheap P&S or disposable. When you have a
sharp lens and little flare, you're screwed. As more people take digital
files for printing, will things change?

Of course, I'll say it again. If you have spent a lot of money on fine
camera equipment and have shots that matter, why are you going to a minilab?

Bill Pearce