[OM] Re: developing/printing C-41 film

Subject: [OM] Re: developing/printing C-41 film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:26:57 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> This is probably for fear that an employee will impose their own
> criteria while the machines are calibrated for 'best fit'. You might
> have an employee who prefers a blue cast one day and another who
> likes a warm look the next. Customers would get inconsistent results,
Sure, probably, but a less important factor than....
> things would slow down and there would be increased expense in
> materials.
and LABOR. You can't believe how tight the costing models for this kind
of stuff are.

In my old industry, supermarkets, if the package goes from warehouse
directly to the destination aisle and onto the shelf, you make money on
the sale. If it has to go back to the back room because there isn't room
on the shelf, then come out again later, you might get lucky and break
even, but on low price items, you lose money. Warehouse aisles are set
up to match store aisles. So product is packed in only one aisle and
unloaded in only one aisle, without wasted movement.

The time the employee takes to look at the print output, let alone rerun
it, probably turns a profit into a loss. How do you think they produce
prints so cheap? Keep the costs down, keep the volume up!

Moose