[OM] Re: Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R

Subject: [OM] Re: Very OT: Lusting for a Bessa R
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:05:07 +1000

> As for Wayne's question about what lenses I'd get for the
> Bessa R - I'd
> probably stick with a couple from the modern Voigtlander
> range, probably a
> 35/2.5 Skopar and a 75/2.5 Heliar.  Leica glass would be nice
> but it would
> have to be at the right price (unlikely) and I'd want it to be
> rangefinder-coupled.

A practical solution - for those focal lengths just get a Zuiko 32/2 and
85/2 and put them on whatever OM body you have.  Slightly bigger than the
Bessa R combination, heavier, slightly noisier, cheaper, more accurate
framing, better metering options, etc, etc.

The CV lenses might be a bit better in ultimate resolution but will you
notice that shooting hand held ?

I just did a quick size comparison, the Bessa-L body is around the same size
as an OM-4 (slightly longer, slightly thinner, about the same height except
for the pentaprism, add an auxiliary finder and it's much higher), Bessa is
lighter and doesn't feel as solid.

Have you had a play with the Bessa ?  I wouldn't send an order off to Gandy
without doing that first.

Now if you wanted some serious wides (12mm, 15mm) which you can't get from
Oly for an OM go for the CV.

What's the price in $AU for the ZD 7-14mm by the way ?

...Wayne