[OM] Re: We'll have to watch this, Moose; was Re: Re: E-500 or E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: We'll have to watch this, Moose; was Re: Re: E-500 or E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 02:48:15 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Probably, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. My E-1 is
> cabable of far more dynamic range than what I really know what
> to deal with.  Sure, B&W isn't quite there, but for color work
> I've got to jump all over the curves adjustments to give the
> pictures some gonads.  Nearly every single HDR image I've seen
> so far looks toothless.

Yup! For one thing, the media we have for viewing them won't display
such a range. But beyond that, they all seem to be very linear. In
addition to "jump all over the curves adjustment", they generally need
some LCE. Something about looong, gentle dynamic range seems to lose the
edges at what should be strong transitions.

The real value to me is where the subject actually has such a wide
dynamic range. Then capturing all of that gives me control over where
the eventual result is compressed and how much highlight and/or shadow
is let go, or to put it another way, where the curve is and how it is
shaped. Every once in a while, when an image just isn't coming out
right, I am dazzled at what a little bump or dip in the smooth overall
curve does. Other times, I try that and get nowhere good. :-)

With slides, you have to make decisions about what to lose up front.
With HDR, however accomplished, different possibilities can be explored
after the fact, to see what pleases most.
> I don't care "what the eye sees" in my pictures.  I want to
> provide an interpretation of what my MIND sees. These "capture
> reality" types are producing images that, frankly, are real
> snoozers.  I want to see what the ARTIST sees--not the camera.

Exactly!

Sometimes, I'm trying to recreate what I think I remember I saw. Other
times, I see things in the image that I didn't see or weren't there, as
far as I was aware when I took the shot, that I try to bring into the
fullest expression I can. Maybe my unconscious leads me to take what I
think is an image of x, knowing that I may later get a chance to
experience y through the process of working with the image.

And who knows what reality is, even in this narrow sense. Vision happens
in the brain, no matter whether what is "seen" is "out in the world" or
an image of it. Since it's clear that what happens in the brain is
virtual, and thus can't be captured by an "objective" recording system,
we never really know what others see.

"You are not the camera, Luke. Use the force to shape your vision..."

Moose