[OM] Re: Bargain 16MP cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Bargain 16MP cameras
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:41:13 +0200
>Tom Scales wrote:
>> From: "Bernard Frangoulis" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> his is where I personally draw the line. The 1D/1Ds is just too big.
>>> Ditto the D2X. Even if I had the money (which I don't), I cannot imagine a
>>> circumstance where I would lug the thing along.
>>>ÊÊÊÊ
>> I feared the same thing when I bought the D2X.  In actual use, though, it is
>> very comfortable and rock solid.
>>ÊÊ
>I'm with Bernard. It took me many years to realize that there is a
>personal size/weight limit for me for any particular kind of gadget. No
>matter what my intentions, and even if it might mean better results,
>camera equipment that's over the limit somehow just hardly gets used.

Exactly. Even the E-1 is biggish for me, but now I am used to this size - I
have manipulated the D200 in a shop, and I think this would be OK as well. But
the 1Ds - no way. Of course, it also depends on the kind of photography one
does: I never carry my photo gear in my car (don't have one!), but rather in
public transportations while travelling, on while hiking. Although it would be
great dfor landscapes, the 1Ds is too intimidating for street photography ;-)

>If this were how I made my living, the situation might be quite different.

Sure. The 1Ds is a fantastic piece of equipment, just not for me and my needs.

Bernard