[OM] Re: a better scanner

Subject: [OM] Re: a better scanner
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:57:25 +0200
The scans are from my v700 scanner. In my opinion the v700 is not quite
as good as the nikon V in terms of range (Dmax) It clips the highlights
sooner than the V - although this may be due to the brightness setting
in the epson software. The colours I am seeing straight from the scanner
however match the slides (kodachromes) much better, the nikon V scans
are much duller. I am sure I could get better scans with more effort,
the ones in the smugmug gallery were done the lazy way and uncorrected
in any way. I also know that the nikon ones can be tweaked for better
colour.

I haven't yet printed comparison photos for the nikon V and epson v700
but I am guessing it would be hard to tell the difference. What I have
learnt is that it is very rare in reality that you will scan at full
resolution of the scanner be it nikon, minolta or epson

If you want to scan other than 35mm though the V700 is close enough to
the nikon V for you not to be too dissapointed with the 35mm. I would
however wait and see how the V750 performs as that allows wet mounting.
You may loose a bit in quality to the nikon V but the mounted slide and
film strip holders allows you to scan more slides at a time. For me the
miniscule difference in quality over its multi taleneted ability made
the v700 a clear winner for now. As soon as I figure out how to stop it
thinking some slides are panoramic then I will have no regrets ;-)

I haven't tried the v700 with ice as the mac at home was puny (400Mhz),
I spent last night however, installing a dual 1.8Ghz sonnet cpu upgrade,
which undid all my work of making the machine silent last week.

IanW