[OM] Re: #057 & #058 Two shots with the 300mm Tamron f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: #057 & #058 Two shots with the 300mm Tamron f2.8
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:39:45 +1000
> GeeBee wrote:
> I have been doing a bit of bird watching lately but even with
> the 300mm I couldn't get any meaningful shots. I decided to
> shoot bigger birds but even when the target was a sizeable wood
> pigeon and it was only about 20 feet from my window I still had
> room to crop to about half the frame.
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06057.htm
> [...]

I like this. I like the big swathe of frame to the bird's right,
which is empty enough for a "flighty" bird, but not so empty as
to be just "space"; the foreground and midground branches, and
the blurred trees in the background work for me (the latter with
the bird nicely fitting within it, just below the sky). Whereas
the bird might otherwise have the stillness normally only
provided by a skilled taxidermist, the space has me seeing it
being a bird's heartbeat away from flight.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz