[OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS

Subject: [OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS
From: d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:08:17 +0100 (BST)

> Dear sirs,
>
> I have got a Nikon LS-4000 slide scanner. This scanner delivers super
> crisp images corner-to-corner but on the other hand has a very narrow
> depth of field. Due to this issue all the images are focused in the center
> but corners are always blurred.
> This is the reason I decided to buy GEPE 6017 24x36 FILMSTOP 2.3mm glass
> mounts to scan all my negatives.
> There must be a troubleshooting with GEPE glass mounts due to all my
> scanned images suffer from distortion. It´s something like when you try to
> apply ICE to Kodachrome images. I think GEPE glass surface isn´t flat at
> 100% or roughness is high, maybe for avoiding moiré effect. Anybody has
> experienced something similar? Which are the best glass mounts for
> flattening film at 100% with crystal clear surface and no moiré effect?
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Dave
> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Dave,

         It may well be the anti-Newton ring texture that's the trouble,
it is a slightly roughened surface finish to prevent those little
rainbows on your slides.

          You could try plain glass GePe mounts, but I know from
experience that this is a difficult problem to address with
specific scanners, due to their narrow depth of field.

D.