[OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS

Subject: [OM] Re: GLASS MOUNTS
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:08:32 -0300
on 4/04/2006 04:32, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> I know there are/were
> some folks doing that.All that remounting sounds painful and tedious.

I don't scan my slides myself, but the photographer who has been doing this
for me never needed to unmount my Provia, Velvia or even Kodachromes when
using the LS 4000ED (now upgraded to 5000) - they always come back perfectly
focused despite their convex surface.
I don't know how does he manage to do so (or the scanner does?).
Flare has sometimes been an issue, but I've been mostly troubled with
latitude (narrower than rhe slide itself), and colour balance/saturation.
These become a PITA when trying to make a print through a Frontier - always
dark and oversaturated on Fuji Christal Archive paper. Fotunately they allow
me to perform some PS post-processing after a failed first trial.
Last summer in Brazil, when talking about this issue with an independent lab
owner, he suggested that Kodak paper would be much more tolerant than
Fuji's. Didn't try this yet - any hints?

TIA,

Fernando.