[OM] Re: OT: Epson 1280 Printer Question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Epson 1280 Printer Question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:14:00 -0600
On 3/28/06, Jez Cunningham <jez.cunningham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Joel - the Ilford Galerie papers I mentioned that I use with my '870 come
> out of the printer absolutely bone dry.  But Ilford don't seem to have the
> same range or naming in Europe and the US.  The Smooth High Gloss Media
> doesn't seem to be mentioend by our US friends - but it is so so gloriously
> glossy - it's just like Cibachrome.  The Epson Matte is good too, but it's
> only white on one side.
> br
> jez

Jez,
There are at least two Ilford glossies:  the Smooth you mention, and
Classic Glossy.  They are quite different.  The Smooth is admittedly a
more beautiful paper IMO, but it is a clay-based surface and is not
archival.  The Classic Glossy has a different, somewhat unique polymer
coating which imitates gelatin-sized papers in some ways.  It is much
more stable in an archival sense.

I am most interested in the Classic Glossy and how ink performs with it.

Joel W.