[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice.
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:55:46 -0500

> In a message dated 3/27/2006 1:42:38 PM Central Standard Time,
> tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> One  thing I forgot to mention.
>
> When you buy a Dell, ALWAYS buy it from  Small Business, not Home/Office.
> The prices are competitive (in fact,  better, if you're patient) and the
> service level is MUCH better.   Just put your name in the business field
> too.
> They don't care.
>
> Tom
>

> Tom, I've just been looking at Dell laptops, both for my father and
> myself.
> I'm on my second one now, and have been pleased. The Home side offers a
> four-year warranty with accident coverage, while the Small Business only
> offers
> three years. Both of us anticipate keeping the laptops for several years.
> I have
> had to call for on-site warranty support for my Inspiron 4100, and was
> satisfied  with the process. Any comments on the warranties?
> Thanks!
> Greg

Lots of differences of opinion here.  My theory is that if it is going to
break, it will break in the first year or two.  After that, it is likely a
hard drive (cheap).  I also don't consider a laptop to have a four year
life, but I'm a geek.

I suspect that if you call, you can get 4 years from Small Business.

Tom