[OM] Re: Flash advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash advice
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:53:53 -0500
Dear Mark,

Probably more pricey than a flashlamp since it's reusable. $50 vs $50,000?
How about an "argon candle"?

    "There is a way to produce extremely powerful flashes out of noble gases.
One
    only has to use solid explosives to generate the shockwave. The so called
argon
    flash is more or less standard procedure, when bright, short flashes are
needed,
    for instance, when photographing detonations.

    "In a simplest form, an argon flash is a balloon filled with argon and some
    detonating cord taped onto the balloon. When the shockwave from the
detonating
    cord hits argon, it heats up to extremely high temperatures (in the order
of 10000 K
    and more) and emits very strong UV and visible radiation. The intensity can
be
    scaled with the amount of explosive.

    "Any other gas will light up as well. However, noble gases with high
ionisation
    potentials can heat up to much higher temperatures than, say, air.
Molecules
    dissociate and restrict the temperature, while atomaric gases can only
ionize to
    consume the energy. Ionized gas is pretty hot and bright. "

    http://yarchive.net/explosives/argon_flash.html

A light has to be pretty bright to photograph a nuclear explosion. Sounds
cheap, too.
And brief. The duration can be 50 microseconds, 1/20,000th of a second. Don't
blink,
or maybe blink, cause it will be bright...

tOM

On Monday, March 27, 2006 at 9:41,
Mark Marr-Lyon <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not bad, but at work we prefer the MegaSun system
>
> http://prismscience.com/megasun.php
>
> We use it for explosively-driven tests that require extremely short
> exposure times, but they do say:
>
> "If instead the system were used as an electronic flash replacement
> for normal color photography at f/4 with 400 ASA film, the lamps
> could provide sufficient illumination for roughly 36,000 square
> yards-the equivalent of almost six football fields."
>
> So it sounds almost ideal for Wayne's application :)
>
> Mark
>
> On 3/25/06, tOM Trottier <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Would 140,000 lumen-seconds do?
> >     http://www.meggaflash.com/pf330%20flashbulb%20specification.ht
> > Or use a bunch.
> >
> > See the results using smaller flashes:
> > http://www.meggaflash.com/Sustut%20River%20Bridge%20photographed%2
> > 0using%20meggaflash%20flashbulb2.htm
> >
> > tOM
> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle