[OM] Re: OT: Epson 1280 Printer Question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Epson 1280 Printer Question
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:08:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 3:26 PM

>> Why don't you want to use pigments?  I think you're making a mistake.
>
> Why do you like pigments?  Is the result superior to dyes?  The
> general notion is that when pigments are really good they're almost as
> good as dyes.  You will have noted that I haven't bought a printer for
> a while, so I realize that this could be old news.  I know that Epson
> has brought pigments a long, long way.
>
> The main reason I like dyes is that they work extremely well with
> Ilford Classic Glossy paper, my favorite, and that's a very stable
> combination, so I'm not especially swayed by archival claims made for
> pigments.  Secondly, there are many different non-OEM dye ink sets
> from which to choose, and hacks for the 1280 are easy.  Fits my
> parsimonious Yankee lifestyle.
>
> Joel W.

Archival.

I don't use the Ilford papers, as I find that Epson's paper line is quite
good and there are many choices -- all optimized to their printers.  That
said, the results difference between the two technologies are so close that
I cannot see a difference.

And the pigments last forever.  The dyes don't.  In fact,  the 1280 can
suffer from the dreaded orange shift in certain locales in just months.

I'd suggest a used 4000 or even a 7600.  You can get great deals.  A 7600
for under $1000 would be fantastic.  The ink costs is dramatically lower
too.

Tom