[OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]

Subject: [OM] Re: Choices, choices [was E-330 gets Editors' Choice from PC Mag!]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:43:58 -0800 (PST)
Moose wrote a harrowing tale about photographing a low-light
scene:
> So the point is, I would never have been able to get the shot
> I wanted, and was lucky enough to make, with any of the
> current E system bodies.

Maybe.  In this type of situation, I'll underexpose (to get the
shot) by up to two stops and correct the exposure during RAW
conversion. The result isn't "perfect", but in some cases more
powerful.  I take the attitude of "why fight noise?"  It's
there, I might as well embrace it.  Just like film grain in B&W
photography.  You can use it to an advantage.  Still, this is
another reason why I usually have a tripod handy.  I'd grab and
do the quick handheld shots and then quickly setup a tripod.
They're not going anywhere quickly.

> So now I'm faced with a dilemma. E-330 for easier shooting in
> normal
> light and super macro capability, or another Can*n for low
> light AF and
> iso performance? The sample images show the 5D to be really
> astonishing
> at iso 3200, with decent AF in practically darkness.

Well, the advantage of the 5D is quantity of pixels as well as
the low-light performance. Even with full-tilt noise, the pixel
density means that anything under 8x10 in size will have almost
invisible noise. If anything, it'll look a little more edgy.

There are many reasons to like the E-system, but it honestly
isn't for everyone. Speaking of such, I just showed my wife some
pictures from an event the other night and she said "those were
taken with the Olympus, weren't they?"  I asked her how she knew
and she said the people's skin looked better.  "Except for that
one--what happened there?"  That was a picture taken with a
different camera.

Save yourself the grief, Moose.  Just stick with Canon bodies.
Get the E-330 for the convenience aspect of the live view, but
you're going to appreciate the Canon line more.  I'll continue
to ride the Olympus horse as long as I can, but at some point I
know I'll have to get something different.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com