[OM] Re: file synch

Subject: [OM] Re: file synch
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:43:51 -0500
At 10:09 AM 3/17/2006, you wrote:
>Sorry, I've never used it to write to CD's or DVD's which I think is
>what you're trying to do.  I do all of my backup onto mutiple USB hard
>drives which are clones or near clones of the boot drive.  Never heard
>of DLA either until I checked their site and see that it's software to
>do UDF formatting of your removable media.
>
>Can't tell you anything other than to read this page which says that
>SyncBack requires pre-formatted media and gives sources for the software
>to do so along with caveats peculiar to each:
><http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.php?pf=kb&page=index_v2&id=69&c=>
>
>Chuck Norcutt

I've also used Synchronize It at http://www.grigsoft.com/winsin.htm
for my synchronization. The thing I like about SynchronizeIt is that I can
pull up a configuration and quickly modify it on the spot, if say only the
drive letter needs to be changed. And several configurations can be
combined into projects. SyncBack looks ok otherwise, but you have to
modify the profile if you need to do quick onetime changes. That makes
it less useful. I hate having to drill down 1 or more levels just to make
some minor temporary changes, then having to revert those changes.

I'm trying to put on my linux hat and build a backup server running rsync
with mapped drives, amongst all the other projects on my plate.
Backup is such a pain in the arse until you really need it.

Most of my backup needs don't arise from disk failure, although a few have.
Most come from pilot error, like accidentally deleting a whole directories
instead of the single file I intended to delete.

Occasionally I will double click on the clock to bring up the date/time calender
just to see what date Friday is next week. Once I accidentally click OK and
set my clock forward 1 week. That really messed up my synchronization and
I lost a number of emails in the process.

Wayne