[OM] Re: file synch

Subject: [OM] Re: file synch
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:55:24 -0500
The MS SyncToy is simpler and more limited, but more oriented to
multiple external media like CDs and memory cards. Cards are each
individually recognised and tagged, and identicality checking seems
stronger and safer - it renames unexpected collisions.

Syncback is more oriented to backup and laptop/ftp/directory sync.

Both work on W2K and XP.

tOM

On 16 Mar 2006 at 7:51,
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you would be hard pressed to find a better back up and
> synchronization tool than "SyncBack" which can be gotten free right
> here:  <http://www.2brightsparks.com/>
>
> This is one of the best implemented software tools I've seen in a
> long time.  The pay version will also back up locked files if
> running on XP.
>   I'm still running Win2000 so haven't upgraded yet.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> tOM Trottier wrote:
>
> > Folks handling multiple copies of pictures on different media, or
> > who need to sync different computers may like the simple Windoze
> > powertoy "SyncToy" which synchs pairs of folders in several
> > different ways and recognizes different media, deletes, renames,
> > and such.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/propho
> > to/synctoy.mspx

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle