[OM] Re: [OT] Canon plastic skin

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Canon plastic skin
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:53:25 -0500
At 11:13 AM 3/15/2006, Winsor wrote:
>To be fair to CH that is a frequent criticism of Canon images on
>other forums. I have not seen it myself though. The Canon images I
>have seen are as beautiful as anyone else's.

Some models and photographers go to great lengths to get
that plastic perfect quality. Here is a shot with the 5D, 24-105
@ F4, iso 320 and flash. Flash can often give the plastic look.
This flash has a Stofen diffuser angled off the right. The shot
is LARGE (531k) with slight sharpening in PS and reduced
by 1/2 in X/Y directions (1456x2184).

http://www.zuik.net/5D/large_5D_MG_1711.jpg (WARNING, 530K size)

I won't be keeping this online for long, but I really can't say
that this image compared to something similar to the E-1
has any issue with skin tone. This or any other images
I may look at. Adjusting color temperature during conversion
is often necessary, especially with my E-1 shots. And the other
adjustments I tend to make are not much different with either
camera. The Flash shots with the E-1 tend to be a bit too
cool for my tastes. (FL-40), but neither camera to my eye
has any kind of advantage on the color or plastic-ness issue.
There are so many fine tuning adjustments to the photos
in camera raw, I really can't understand how any kind of
generalization can be made, at least not from my experience
with the 5D and the E-1. To me, the 5D is providing better
color. I sometimes think the E-1's extra white balance sensor
may actually cause the camera to make mistakes, especially
with an overcast sky. So, I'm just as likely (or more so)
to adjust the color temp of the E-1 as I am with the 5D.

This shot was not color corrected and I only adjusted the
auto-exposure in camera raw, and reduced the gamma
and white point with levels. I pretty much do this whether
the shot is E-1 or 5D. I have my monitor calibrated, so your
monitor may display differently than mine. I find shifting the
mid-tones (reduce gamma) to a darker value print better.
This was smart sharpened 73%, 1.3 pixels before reducing
in image ready (which strips out the icc profile for web
display, i think?).

I believe that a small amount of sharpening is necessary for
most raw images to help undo the effect of the anti-alias filter.

Wayne