[OM] Re: O Possum, where are thou? (Was: Olympus T Ring Flash)

Subject: [OM] Re: O Possum, where are thou? (Was: Olympus T Ring Flash)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:06:11 +1100
That's really nice - I envy you the raccoons - nice to have smart
wildlife.
Yes, we buy cheap bags of apples and loaves of stale bread to keep up
with the critters - the Cockatoos demand it and will follow you
around the house during the day, tapping on the windows with their
beaks to get your attention.
We buy about three kilos of raw pet meat per week to feed the
kookaburras, magpies and butcher birds. There are about eight in the
kooka family at present and they are mostly quite tame - I call them
the 'chooks' (chickens). They line up on the rail outside the kitchen
in morning and evening and make baby calls at us - it's a scene
reminiscent of Hitchcock at times. The magpies are quite bold and
will walk into the kitchen a few feet. They repay with a magnificent
song, as do the butcher birds which are a thrush-size member of the
same family and prefer to catch piece of meat thrown into the air.
I've trapped and released marsupials for research (cage and tunnel
traps) and almost without exception, they''ll go for a mixture of
muesli, honey and peanut butter (as would I) with the addition of a
little fish oil sometimes to increase pungency. Don't try it on your
racoons - if they get to like it, it'll cost you a fortune. Cheaper
than shoes though.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pbase.com/afildes