[OM] Re: Manrfotto 410 question

Subject: [OM] Re: Manrfotto 410 question
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:58:39 +0000
Okay, here goes.  This is going to be hurried, because I am about 99.5% ready
to pull the trigger on an E-330 from B&H and want to get this done before I
come to my senses.  I keep thinking about all that ground-level macro stuff I
like to do.

The Cullmann QR system has many advantages: the plates are small, like about 1
1/4 in. square and 1/4 in. deep; work forwards and backwards, weigh next to
nothing, are absolutely secure (I even use them with the Mamiya RB67 and
Graphics), can be used sideways, if necessary, by rotating the adapter, are not
expensive, and never get in the way.  I've got Cullmann QR adapters on my
Manfrotto 405 geared head, Gitzo ball head, both Cullmann tripods (naturally)
and even on an old go-to-hell Quick Set Pro-Am that I don't hesitate to stick
in the mud and the muck and the meadow muffins, if there should be any where I
want to set up.

I've got probably 18 or 20 of the QR plates, and they're attached to just about
anything and everything I'm likely to ever want to mount on a tripod.  They're
small enough that you may forget they're there.  The gear will usually fit even
with a plate attached anywhere it would fit without one.  For instance, the
300/4.5 and 400/6.3 Zuikos still fit in their hard cases with a plate attached.
 There's a pair of Cullmann QR plates that haven't been off my E-1 and 50-200
DZ since I got them.  They're there when I need 'em, and when I don't need 'em,
I don't even notice they're still there.

I couldn't recommend them more highly unless I was selling them, which I'm not.

Gotta go now.  I've got something to do.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --