[OM] Re: fine grain B/W film (was: [OM][OT] Re: Leica version of LC-1)

Subject: [OM] Re: fine grain B/W film (was: [OM][OT] Re: Leica version of LC-1)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 07:06:26 +1100
Didn't know that about Tech-pan - how sad.
The 55mm Industar 61 has a reputation of being very sharp as it has
rare earth (Lanthanum) elements. It was made for the awful Fed 5 body
and is exceptional if you get a good one. There are many around as
the Fed 5 would self-destruct fairly quickly.  I paid about $8 for
mine off ebay, plus about $10 postage. One of the real bargains. The
problem is that the lubricants in it turn to glue so they are a bit
lumpy in focussing - there are instructions on the net on how to
clean it yourself though.
It lack the charm of the collapsible design but outperforms it in
every way. However, avoid the 52mm and 53mm versions.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pbase.com/afildes