[OM] Re: critique request

Subject: [OM] Re: critique request
From: iddi <iddibhai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:25:24 -0800
>> which of the two do you prefer, and why?
>>
>> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2425/1296/1600/IMG_1002.jpg
>>
>> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2425/1296/1600/P2171301.jpg
>>
>> shot by two different people (one of them me), two different cameras,
>> different focal lengths, a few feet apart. Cropped/rotate/levels/USM on
>> *both* shots done by me. thanks.

Thanks for all the comments; individual responses addressed below, and
then finally the equipment/technique/photog.

Moose: I too preferred the composition of the first. No more detail, it's
a digital shot. Perhaps some mucking about in post processing (shot as
jpg, not raw) can get more out of it. I'm split about the piece of trash,
and the empty sign board you cloned out. Spent a lot of time trying
various crops, and nothing seemed to be just "right" for me.

Bob: first attempt? you could say...taken by someone very new to the game
(technique wise) but brilliant in visualizing an image.

Andrew: yes, wish the exposure was a bit more on the first shot!

Manuel: criticism never taken as offence! bring it on! yes this was shot
at the full focal length of the camera's zoom range, but the photog, quite
excited at "seeing" the image, ran from where he was seated, switched on
the camera (praying there was enough battery left) and fired off a couple
before the person in the frame was too far down to give the image appeal.
Tried a portrait format crop to eliminate the pole (a hand hold for
stairs, actually) but that meant losing a lot of the pathway in the upper
half/right of the image.

Ian: right with ya, mate! the position of the camera in the first image
just worked out better, in addition to the focal length. dark mysterious
feel, almost desolate.

Jeff: it was most certainly a guy, and Manuel, he wasn't homeless.

Now for the backstory: this was taken around 9.30pm on a chilly night,
shortly after rain fell, outside a theatre on campus, where Harvey Pekar
(of _American Splendor_ fame) was keynote speaker.

Given my penchant for photography, occasionally I'm asked to snap a few
for use in publications. This night I was a little under the weather, and
asked a friend to tag along so that at least some shots can be had if I
passed out.

First shot was taken by a friend, who isn't familiar with the
technicalities of exposure, but brilliant in "seeing" an image. Canon 20D
in Program mode, ISO3200, EF 70-200/2.8L at full length (320mm equiv.),
wide open, 1/125" shutter, default metering (focus point linked matrix?).
Camera gear borrowed from the dept. that asked me to shoot.

Second image, by me, my own Olympus E10, ISO320, 140mm equivalent, wide
open (f2.4) and 1/8" shutter, ESP metering.

All that said, next time it rains (and I hope it does!) at an event in the
theatre, I'll be ready, and shoot it again!

Thanks to one and all!

--
aim:iddibhai | icq:104079359 | msn:msidd004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ludic and sardonic photoblog: http://iddibhai.blogspot.com