[OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM-D] PMA 2006 Olympus info?
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:33:43 +0100
Hi,

Garth Wood wrote:
> Honestly, if Oly doesn't announce a new
> pro-level body at PMA, that's it.

I know the feeling, I've also been waiting for a new E-1.  I don't need
IS, >10MP, but an 8MP E-1 that was updated to current standards (AF
speed, write speed, ...) would have been great.  Same thing for the
14-35/f2.  If that combo would've been available, I would probably have
bought it.

However, it isn't, so I've made the switch.  It's taken me quite some
consideration, and I have to thank Dan Sepke for his inspiration.  The
high resolution and cheap, high-quality lenses were just too much to
resist.  I got a good deal so I bit the bullet.  Here's a link with a
description.

http://www.rus-camera.com/camera.php?page=zorki&camera=zorki1

For 200PLN (around €50), I got a very nice Zorki-1 in it's original
leather Never-Ready case with a collapsible Industar 50/f3.5.  Most
others I saw had a corroded lens barrel, this one's lens is near-mint.
Really.  Amazing for a 50 year old piece of equipment.  The lens works
smoothly, no oily blades (which is no issue with RF anyway), great
collapsing action, ...  The body shows some wear marks, particularly on
the sides, but overall it's in quite good condition.  Shutter works fine
(I've seen different) and accurately.  The feel&sound of the shutter is
marvelous.  It's great to work with a finely crafted piece of machinery,
something I miss in most plastic digicams.

For 25PLN (€6) extra I got a light meter with it (selenium, no battery).
  I shot a roll of Portra400, and despite the overcast weather, the
colours are great, pictures are tack sharp (when the guy pushing the
button did his job properly).  The negatives seem to be larger than my
OM-4T's, and they're slightly rotated (the top left and lower right
corner overlap the perforations).  I need to check what I get in the
viewfinder with what ends up on the negative and with what then ends up
on paper after having them printed.

It feels great to be working in a different way.  I like the concept of
a separate meter: I'm getting more conscious about the light around me.
  Then there's the separate VF and RF window.  I got used to that in no
time, though both windows are really tiny.

The Zorki-1 is a good experience: a different approach to photography
and a refreshing back-to-basics.  I'm still considering the new E-x of
course, but if Zeiss Ikon would effectively come out with a digital
body, as rumoured and implicitely suggested in the FAQ on their web
site, it could be a good alternative for a plastic wunderbrick DSLR.

Peter.