[OM] Re: OlympusUSA

Subject: [OM] Re: OlympusUSA
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:26:06 -0800

> Darin, Are you not using a snipe program?  If not, why not?   There is
> seldom
> anything I get from eBay, that I want, which is not  sniped.  I will bid
> on
> stuff without using esnipe.com however if I'm really  willing to pay the
> freight, you will see my bid at the last moment using a snipe  program.
> It is a
> little like playing poker.  I'll never show you my  hand and I don't mind
> checking and then raising.

 No, I haven't been using a sniping program. When I first heard about them I
basically thought of it as cheating. However, my views on this subject are
quickly changing. I've been to esnipe.com before and it looks pretty simple
to use, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

> There are a number of "tricks" to successful sniping.  I will share  one
> with
> you that has worked for me.  Decide what price you feel you  are
> comfortable
> paying (less the postage) and then bid an amount which is  slightly higher
> than that incremental bid.  Let's say there is an item that  is currently
> bid at
> $102.50 and you are willing to pay $175.00 for it.  You  might set you
> snipe
> bid at $175.17 rather than $175.00 as your bid  will beat others who have
> bid
> in even increments with a maximum bid of  $175.00.  You would be surprised
> the
> number of items I've won by very  small margins.  There are other things
> one
> can do to get started  successfully sniping, however this one will get you
> started may be  helpful.  Bill Barber

I've often used this method with my max bid. It works well, when I can
afford to bid a fair price on an item, but most times I'm pretty strapped
and just hoping to slide by with a relatively low bid.

Darin