[OM] Re: [OT]Major Internet Changes

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Major Internet Changes
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:21:46 -0800
I didn't see enough detail in the BBC article to understand what they were
really asking for.

- A phone call carried over the internet that has sporadic 0.1sec delays can
not be understood. If a Oly list posting has a 0.1 sec delay nobody would
notice.

- Most router/switch connections are not used to anywhere near 100% capacity
in part because some traffic can not be delayed. Having a different cost for
different requirements doesn't seem like a bad idea. The details of the cost
structure are what could make it very bad. Paying for what you get in a
competitive market is not unreasonable. Paying the highest possible charge
that the customer will bear in a restricted marketplace isn't much fun.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>

... then we get to Smith's assertion. If Smith got his way, BellSouth
would then be in a position to strongly influence (read: get a kickback
on) the services offered quickest.