[OM] Re: Pentaxamerica was Re: Re: $650 credibility gap

Subject: [OM] Re: Pentaxamerica was Re: Re: $650 credibility gap
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:56:43 -0800
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:

>>- Although the front of the lens isn't shown, the box says "ZUIKO MC
>>AUTO-S", which probably means the lens inside is good, but not the best
>>version of the 50/1.4 made.
>>

>Ah, Are there the better versions of 50/1.4 MC ?

Yup. Identifying all the different versions of lenses and discussing
which are the best was a big feature of this list back a few years ago,
before my time. It was what led to Gary's remarkably useful lens tests.
The discussions still come up sometimes, but without the same energy.
There should be lots of stuff in the archives. As I recall, there are 4
or 5 identified versions, with those marked MC and the earlier of the
ones marked ZUIKO,  without the leading "G.", but without the MC marking
being the next to last.

The final version, and generally the best regarded, is those lenses with
serial numbers over 1,085,000. They are characterized by unusually even,
great sharpness performance over the whole aperture range. Already sold
my spare to a listee a while ago...

Moose