[OM] Re: OT hd cases

Subject: [OM] Re: OT hd cases
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:20:37 -0600
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> I buy a fair amount from the Geeks who offer good prices and a
> satisfaction guarantee.  I've had to return two items over the last
> several years.  One case was a product that just wasn't suitable to my
> purposes as soon as I saw the thing in the flesh.  It had a mounting
> oddity that made it incompatible with my computer case.  The other was a
> product that failed in less than a year.  Returns are no hassle.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> John Hermanson wrote:
>
>>I'd avoid the Cintre HD case.  I don't know if all their products are of
>>this quality, but what a POS.  Fan armature was loose, rolling around
>>inside case, just drops back onto shaft but is VERY noisy.  Kit comes
>>with really flimsy tin metal plates, that once screwed to the side of
>>the HD, is supposed to slide into case.  It would be jam fit even if the
>>plates didn't bend all out of shape upon insertion attempt.  Plastic
>>stand for holding case vertically broke in 2 within a minute of setup.
>>Case came Thursday by UPS, got an RMA that night, shipped back today for
>>refund.

I'm sorry to hear the Cintre case didn't work out. If nothing else, it's
a PITA to have to waste time on it and RMA it. When I made my original
comments about the Cintre case, Geeks had one of the cases I saw that
seemed good, and I have no qualms about dealing with them. Sometimes
there are loss-leaders at the big-box stores (Circuit City more likely
than Best Buy, Office [fill-in-noun-here], etc.)

Steve