[OM] Re: Pen F/FT ownership - potential pitfalls

Subject: [OM] Re: Pen F/FT ownership - potential pitfalls
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:47:10 -0500
There are almost no major parts available for Pen F models.  Go for an
FT.  The meter can be converted to the silver oxide battery.  If the
meter fails, then you can switch to a handheld. One thing to check on
used Pen slr's is a slipping sprocket.  Open back, put a little thumb
pressure on the sprocket and wind the shutter.  The sprocket must turn
under your thumb pressure.  If it doesn't, inside of sprocket (plastic)
is worn down, broken. There are no replacement elements available for
pen lenses.
___________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remove 'spam' when writing

Martin Walters wrote:
> I am wondering about jumping into this pool - after all, the lenses are
> still zuikos and the OMZ ones can be mounted as well.  Should I do this,
> it would be for something in nice condition for occasional use; not
> collector grade and I trust not too expensive (likely bought on our
> favourite auction site).
>
> Some questions:
> -  F versus FT (e.g., FT uses mercury batteries, stand alone light meter
> for F)?
> -  Repairability (e.g., to what extent are they economically repairable;
> what problems to avoid)?
> -  Buying F/FT lenses (e.g., is element separation is a concern; should
> one stay away from the older zuikos)?
>
> Grateful for any wisdom the group might like to share.
>
> Martin

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: omtech1.vcf