[OM] Re: e-330, is this what we have been waiting for from

Subject: [OM] Re: e-330, is this what we have been waiting for from
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:43:58 +1100
Why on earth would anyone bother to buy an interchangeable lens
camera and then put a 10X zoom on it - seems pointless somehow. And
comments about image stabilisation?
Recently I used a Nikon D200 with an similar lens (what was it? -
18-200mm VR?) So it had image stabilisation and ultrazoom status. I
wish they'd lent me a 50mm instead, to get some real appreciation of
the camera's capability! Long zoom - soft, especially at the long
end. How could it be otherwise. I've just played with half-a-dozen 10
and 12X EVF's like the Canon S2 IS (recommended) and they are ALL a
bit soft. Got the best shots by far in the 40-100mm range, esp.
portraits.
Stabilisation? Fine for available dark portraits but - what about
subject movement? You get lulled into a sense that you'll get the
shot and find that what you get is a blurry mess because the child/
horse/tortoise was moving. You think that you can shoot a 300mm
effective at 1/30sec - only if the subject is a bloody rock! At that
length, you have to take great care of what you are doing or else -
and zooming way up there because you can is a recipe for disappointment.
AndrewF