[OM] Re: OT Wellness [was Upsizing E-1 prints]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Wellness [was Upsizing E-1 prints]
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:41:02 +0000
I disagree, Moose, with your assertion about whether it makes sense.
"Healthy" is a simple concept for me and it means "well".  However,
if you want to look more deeply into the description I accept that
you might look for another word.

But for me "wellness" is an ugly word in that someone has merely
attached a suffix to the word "well" when, again for me, it just
doesn't go.  I first saw it on a clinic at NATO base (Geilenkirchen
in Germany) and my immediate thought was to offer advice in English
to the signwriter.  I accept now that it has currency, but I still
find it ugly.

Finally, I admire your stance on "new-agey" work; if it provides a
service and fulfils your requirements in life, money surely becomes
secondary.  I find myself looking for a similar niche.  I have just
been offered another 3 years of my current job (teaching
undergraduates to fly, to understand the military way of things and
to offer lessons from the University of Life), but I should like to
find something else to challenge me in different ways.  I am looking
at working for a charity ("new-agey" might be anti-Christian you
see ...) but I am trying to be thoughtful about the possibilities.

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.
+44 (0)7092 251126
www.threeshoes.co.uk
homepage.mac.com/zuiko

On 26 Jan 2006, at 07:35, Moose wrote:

> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> Better you should stay as a pilot and photographer.  Marketing
>> would be
>> a gut wrenching occupation for you.  :-)
>>
>> Chris Barker wrote:
>>
>>> Apart from its  alliterative qualities in EW's business name, I
>>> deplore the word "wellness" when "health" and other words have done
>>> so well for so long, but then I am old-fashioned that way ...
>>>

> Interesting how we become entrenched with what has been, whether it
> makes sense or not. Wellness is the obvious alternative to illness in
> the sense of words.

anip

> As I understand the use of the word wellness, it is not intended to
> be a
> synonym for good health. Rather it is about a different way of viewing
> the human condition. And like Bob, I think there is an important
> quality
> in the fact that it doesn't need an adjective to create its meaning.

snip