[OM] Re: Hard Case

Subject: [OM] Re: Hard Case
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:45:19 +0000
To begin with, I don't keep lenses in lens cases if they'll fit in a good
camera bag.  That's kind of like wearing both belt and suspenders.  Most lens
cases are fiddly things that just get in the way.  I've got a couple of big
boxes of them stored in the basement.

Here's a shot of the bag containing my digital kit as it exists this morning:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1078.jpg

That's a 20-year-old LowePro bag, and that's the E-1 and 14-54 on the far
right, with the 4/3 adapter in a padded case underneath.  On the back row, from
right to left, are the 7-14 ZD, 50/2 ZD macro, with the EX-25 extension tube
underneath, then the FL-50 flash.  On the front row, still going right to left,
are the 50-200 DZ and 500/8 CAT, with the EC-14 teleconverter under the 500,
not to use with it, of course, but just because that's where it fits best.  The
film can loops can be used for odds and ends, as shown.  In the front pocket
are assorted goodies, including the remote releases, both RM-CB1 cable and the
little clicker, the VA-1 Varimagni finder, Stofen diffuser and FL-CB05 hot shoe
cable for the FL-50.  The right pocket has lens cleaning stuff and an extra set
of batteries for the FL-50.  The left pocket has three filters (two polarizers
and a UV for the 500/8), a 52-55mm step-up ring for the 50/2 so I can use 55mm
filters on it, and a 55mm hood for when using th
 em.

That's all the digital gear, except the macro flash stuff, which is in it's own
case.  The film gear is spread through an assortment of LowePro and Tamrac
bags, plus some soft-sided coolers, which are a great and cheap substitute for
"real" camera bags, and look at lot less attractive to thieves if you don't
have a good place to keep the gear out of sight.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --