[OM] Re: Zuiko 18/3.5 lens, any comment?

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 18/3.5 lens, any comment?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:02:54 -0400

> Have you seen Gary Reese's lens tests:
>
> http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
>
> He hasn't tested the Tamron 17mm, but has tested the Vivitar 17mm, as well
> as every Zuiko lens.
>
> --
> Piers

After looking carefully at his tests, I bought the Vivitar 17/3.5, deciding
that it would be good enough for me. Mine gives excellent performance, which
is not surprising considering it is made by Tokina. One nice thing about it
is that it has a stepped-up filter size built into the front of the lens,
which means you can add a filter directly, and also adds a bit of physical
protection for the front element if you don't use a filter. And of course,
the whole lens goes for about the same $'s as the going price of the Oly
49-72.
Wayne