[OM] Re: Zuiko 18/3.5 lens, any comment?

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 18/3.5 lens, any comment?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:11:11 -0800
Jim wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses.
>
>Piers,
>Is there any significant different in image quality between the Zuiko 18.3.5
>and Tamron 17/3.5?

C.H. had this to say back in 2002:

we have made side to side
comparison on my friend's tamron and my Zuiko. The Tamron has much
less vignetting but the Zuiko has much better edge resolution and
better color in my eyes. Didn't remember the Tamron's distortion, the
Zuiko has very good distortion control but not so good flare
resistance. The close focusing correction on the Zuiko 18 is a big
advantage. Although I have not tested the 18/3.5 but I have tested my
21/2 at close distance which is as sharp as my 50/3.5 and blew out all
other Zuiko non macro including 50/1.2, 55/1.2, 50/1.4, 50/1.8....

C.H.Ling

 From what I can recall of other posts, I think the Zuiko is the king of
resolution, especially away from the center, and of low distortion. The
Tamron is the king of low vignetting. I don't recall much about the
Tokina, but Brian posted a test and a link to the same test for the Zuiko.

If one scans the film, vignetting isn't the problem it used to be. It
can be corrected in the image editor
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/BFountain.htm>.

I suspect the Zuiko and the Zeiss are the best in resolution of lenses
in this focal length, which is the only thing that can't be corrected in
post processing. You can probably find samples in the Can*n forum on
Fredmiranda.com

Moose