[OM] Re: OT - web thumbnail picture labels

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - web thumbnail picture labels
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:46:30 -0800
Seems like the old ... if a tree falls in the forest but no one is around,
did it make any sound ...
Designing to the standards is good in that hopefully the browsers become
more compliant with time. The goal is to communicate though. If 80% of the
people are using browsers that don't implement the standard that you code,
then the effort is for your own amusement. Although both IE and Opera
display the page title, probably not many people notice it. I guess I amused
myself ...

IE has been displaying the ALT tag for many years. I don't remember if
Netscape did even though I was checking pages in Netscape back then. Yes, I
knew that ALT was established so that when the picture wasn't displayed, it
would be presented. I still need to look into the link Chris provided.

A surprising thing I found is that if you put the DOCTYPE statement in the
page, Msoft's IE actually responds differently. When I put the strict
DOCTYPE statement in, IE ignored some of the older align tags. This should
help me move html towards strict 4.01 compliance! That's nice.

It would have been nice if other browsers displayed the ALT tag. The info
should be relevent. Why insert it both for an ALT tag and a CAPTION tag (if
the caption tag existed)?

I appreciate the info. It saves a lot of time searching for something that
apparently doesn't exist.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>

snipped

Yes, the ALT element is for "alternate text" to be supplied INSTEAD of
the image

At some point, IE and other browsers (not sure if it was IE that did
it first) started displaying the ALT text when you hovered your mouse
over the image.

Personally, I wish the W3C had developed a caption tag to associate
appropriate text to a specific object.

The fact that so many browsers (mainly IE
and Netscape) completely ignore the standards (or only partly
implement them) has pretty much meant that most people have no idea
what the standards really are and they just design around how the
browser renders the code