[OM] Re: Another Shift in the Force

Subject: [OM] Re: Another Shift in the Force
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:40:44 -0800 (PST)
> I was surprised (but only a little) to see the demise of
> enlarger
> lenses.  But I was surprised a lot to note the demise of large
> format
> lenses.  There must still be plenty in the used market.

That's the thing.  There are more top-grade used lenses on the
market than there are buyers.  I definitely wouldn't spend two
to three times as much for a new lens at this point. Not when I
can get anything I want from e8ay for a fraction of the cost.

Chances are, just like Olympus with the OM line, that the last
production run of some of these products was years ago.

This reminds me of my previous employment.  The company I worked
for made one of the very first "NAB" Cart Machines and ended up
making one of the very last ones.  I distinctly remember the day
we shut that assembly line down.  It signalled an end to a 50
year era.  It wasn't that we weren't selling them, but we could
no longer get the spindle motors.  Another victom of the digital
revolution.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com