[OM] Re: taking photos of lazer shows.

Subject: [OM] Re: taking photos of lazer shows.
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:05:14 -0800

Probably the lasers move faster than fireworks ... the amount of light
hitting the film in one spot is less. When you say the buildings near the
edges had little resolution, I would guess that the light from them gives
strong over-exposure? Perhaps using a color filter that lets the laser light
through but blocks the other colors would let you get an image of the
lasers? Then you could stack a conventional photo on top of it to get the
buildings in the same final print.
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I regularly travel to hong kong and there is a lazer show acros the
harbour from the larger buildings in hong kong at 8 pm every sunday. twice
now I have tried with velvia 100F to get some good shots and each has been
a washout. Any advice from the last about how to do this?

The first time I used a om4ti with a f2.8 olympus 24mm to get the entire
show in. I can the lens at f8 and was getting exposures or around 6-8
seconds. The result was hidious the lazers hardly showed up at all and the
buildings near the edges of the frame had little resolution. Since then I
have found that wide angles past 28mm don't work well for night photgraphy
when the buildings are small and far away...

the second time I went for a wide appature and around 2 seconds with a f2
olympus 28mm. The buidings where far better but still the lasers dont show
up that well. I guess they are simply not bright enough compared to the
sky line and rather thin.

Still if you go to the peak tram terminal there is a wonderful panaramic
shot of the harbour with the laser show and the lasers are there and well
defined. Of course it could have been adjusted a great deal...

Any ideas?

James

P.S.
Thank you for the foreworks advice from a while ago. I ended up running at
f8 with velvia 100F and the results where not bad for a first attempt.