[OM] taking photos of lazer shows.

Subject: [OM] taking photos of lazer shows.
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:49:29 -0000 (GMT)

I regularly travel to hong kong and there is a lazer show acros the
harbour from the larger buildings in hong kong at 8 pm every sunday. twice
now I have tried with velvia 100F to get some good shots and each has been
a washout. Any advice from the last about how to do this?

The first time I used a om4ti with a f2.8 olympus 24mm to get the entire
show in. I can the lens at f8 and was getting exposures or around 6-8
seconds. The result was hidious the lazers hardly showed up at all and the
buildings near the edges of the frame had little resolution. Since then I
have found that wide angles past 28mm don't work well for night photgraphy
when the buildings are small and far away...

the second time I went for a wide appature and around 2 seconds with a f2
olympus 28mm. The buidings where far better but still the lasers dont show
up that well. I guess they are simply not bright enough compared to the
sky line and rather thin.

Still if you go to the peak tram terminal there is a wonderful panaramic
shot of the harbour with the laser show and the lasers are there and well
defined. Of course it could have been adjusted a great deal...

Any ideas?

James

P.S.
Thank you for the foreworks advice from a while ago. I ended up running at
f8 with velvia 100F and the results where not bad for a first attempt.