[OM] Re: Lightroom

Subject: [OM] Re: Lightroom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:13:37 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>I have a friend who got all hyped over what he had heard and read about
>Aperture and said he was seriously thinking about buying a Mac.  (this
>from a guy with 4 PC's in his studio)

Jobs and company have fluctuated in the quality of their offerings over
the decades, but they have never lacked the ability to hype. Nor have
the faithful ever lacked the ability to believe in miracles ,sight
unseen. Hey, they make some great stuff, but it's not from another
dimension that's way ahead of us technically. Nor are they magicians.

>He finally went to the Apple store and got a first hand look.  Came back
>very deflated.  He said that he now considers Aperture to be a nice tool
>for amateurs but without any serious professional tools that would make
>it a competitor to PhotoShop.  Aperture may be real competition some day
>but it's got a long, long way to go.

How in heaven's name could any group of programmers be expected to come
close to a product  like PS in one go? To expect that is just crazy. PS
had had a gazillion hours devoted by some of the best graphics
programmers around to bringing it up from its primitive early form to
the powerhouse it is today. Not to say that it is perfect nor that it
can't be bettered, but not in a first effort that spent less than Apples
net profit for several years.

I'd rather see some Zanies lost in cyberspace do the core of a great
graphics editor in assembler and then warp it in a decent interface for
a lot less than PS than another player wanting to play in the high price
realm. Irfanview is an example of a light, fast viewer of that ilk.

Moose