[OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm F3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron SP 17mm F3.5
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:21:12 -0800
I think there is a common confusion about chromatic aberration.

There is some purple fringing at the edges of the bright light at the
end of the building that is a sensor artifact, not a lens artifact.
Sensors, like film, have trouble handling black and white edges
especially when the light is bright. The difference from film is that
when the light spills over the edge it takes on a purple bloom with a
digital sensor. The edge looks eaten away on film and even more, I
think, with the sensor. Much of it can be corrected though.

Chromatic aberration is caused by the inability of the lens to bring
all the colors in white light to focus at the same point. Usually you
would see it also in bright areas, but usually characterized by a
colored edge on one side and a different color on the opposite edge.
That does not seem to be present in this image.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA